Boutonnieres are now called small bouquets that are pinned to clothes during a wedding. This obligatory attribute of the festival is attached to a jacket for men, and for women — on a dress, or as an ornament on the hair or as a bracelet on the wrist. According to the latest trends, wedding boutonnieres remain an indispensable element of the groom’s suit, while being combined with the bride’s bouquet. Despite the durability of artificial, miniature bouquets of fresh flowers look spectacular. Usually they are ordered in floristic studios, but it is quite possible to make wedding boutonnieres with your own hands. And we’ll tell you how.How to make a boutonniere with your own hands: for the groom
For the boutonniere you will need:
- rose flower;
- floral wire;
- wire cutters, secateurs;
- floral tape;
- artificial green twig and leaves;
- pearl pins.
- You need to choose a fresh rose for a boutonniere and put it in water the day before.
- Before working with a pruner, cut its stem, leaving 3 cm. A few of the upper petals can be removed if they look rumpled.
- Insert floral wire through the base of the rose. Pull it out and fold it in half. Cut the wire with wire cutters, the length of each half of the wire in the rose should reach 10–12 cm — this will be the stem of the flower.
- Then the wire must be wrapped with floral tape, without grabbing the leaves, but without leaving cuts.
- Now you should add leaves to the rose — it can be artificial or real (gypsophila or other plants related to succulents). Add decorative elements, such as a ribbon bow, tied at the base to floral wire. The wire should be covered with floral tape.
- Connect all the elements to make the product look harmonious.
- Having wrapped the base with floral tape, we get an exquisite groom’s boutonniere with our own hands.
- For elegance, its stem is best wrapped around a pencil or pen.
- Regarding how to attach the boutonniere, we recommend using two pins, crossing them on the left lapel of the jacket.
Do-it-yourself guest boutonniere: master class
An integral attribute is considered to be a boutonniere for witnesses, as well as (albeit optionally) for unmarried and unmarried guests. However, exclusive jewelry will be expensive in wedding salons. It is much cheaper to make boutonnieres for guests with your own hands: you are in for a great result and a fun time.
So, for work you will need the following materials:
- piece of burlap;
- glue gun;
- three types of buttons;
- two types of feathers;
- threads with a large needle;
- tape 2 cm wide;
- bamboo skewers.
- Draw a sheet on a sheet of cardboard and cut it out — this will be a template.
- Using the resulting cardboard template, cut out one leaf for each boutonniere from a piece of burlap with your own hands.
- Apply glue to the cardboard sheet and glue the burlap blank on top. Carefully cut off excess fabric and protruding threads.
- After that, cut out another template from cardboard, only larger. And again we prepare burlap blanks using the second template.
- The skewers must be cut into segments 9–10 cm long. Using a glue gun, we attach a skewer to the center of each piece of burlap. Such a “stem” must be wrapped with twine, after applying glue.
- Let’s start making blanks from boutonniere ribbons with our own hands. For each we prepare a piece of tape 27–28 cm long with the ends cut at an angle.
- In the center of each piece of tape, stitches should be made with a large needle and thread. We tie the segments with cute bows.
- Again, let’s do burlap blanks. Glue to each layer from one type of feathers, then from above — from another.
- Prepare 3 different types of buttons for each boutonniere.
- We collect boutonnieres: we glue a bow to each blank of burlap and feathers, then three buttons each. We glue larger blanks from burlap to the back of each boutonniere.
Unusual boutonnieres for your wedding are ready!
It is also easy to make other wedding accessories with your own hands: a pillow for rings, a bride’s handbag and a garter.