Quite popular at present in our country is the custom of dressing the bride with a garter. After painting, at a banquet, the groom is supposed to remove it from the legs of his newly-made wife and throw it into the crowd of unmarried guys who have gathered. This custom, of course, does not belong to the original Russian traditions and came to us from Western rites, as well as throwing a bouquet. But he so quickly won his love among our brides that almost every newlywed considers this wedding attribute obligatory. Of course, the easiest way to buy a garter is in any wedding salon: fortunately, their range is quite large, and even the most demanding bride will choose the model she likes. This will save time, which, as a rule, is so lacking in the pre-wedding fuss. But, you see, how touching it is to make a wedding garter with your own hands and know that it is one of a kind. By the way, this is not so difficult as it might seem at first glance. It is enough to have the banal sewing skills themselves. Well, do not forget about the good mood! So, we will talk about how to make a garter with your own hands.
How to sew a garter with your own hands: materials needed
To make the necessary attribute of a beautiful bride’s outfit, a garter, you should prepare:
- A piece of white lace. We recommend purchasing a lace in which one edge is straight. Then it will be easy for us to connect the pieces of lace together to get a wide canvas. If you manage to find a piece of wide lace, you will have less work to do.
- A piece of blue ribbon or ribbon 1.5–2 cm wide.
- An elastic band that will be needed in order for the future garter to stay on your leg. Its width should be less than the width of the tape.
- A thin ribbon with white and blue stripes for making decorative knots.
- A thread that matches the shade of the blue ribbon.
Wedding garter: master class
So, let’s move on to sewing the bride’s garter with our own hands.
- First you need to measure the length of the future garter. To do this, measure with a centimeter the width of that part of your leg, located just above the knee. Add another 30 cm to this measurement.
- Cut two pieces of lace to the required length (leg width + 30 cm). If you have one wide lace, you will only need one piece.
- Carefully lay the pieces of fabric on top of each other so that the lace edges are on the outside.
- After securing the seams with safety pins, sew the pieces of lace together with a machine stitch so that they barely touch each other.
- Now you need to make two pieces of blue ribbon with the same length as the lace.
- Place one of the pieces of ribbon under the lace exactly in the middle. And now, in the same way, that is, in the center, but place the second segment on top of the lace. Both ribbons must be absolutely aligned. Insert safety pins where necessary.
- And now it’s time for the most painstaking work. Using a sewing machine, stitch the ribbons to the garter top and bottom. Please note that no more than 1–2 mm must be retreated from the edge of the tape. Do everything slowly and carefully. When the ribbons are stitched, they form a channel where you can put the elastic.
- By the way, the length of the elastic is calculated as follows: you need to add a few cm to the width of the legs of the brides. Pin a pin on the edge of the elastic and insert it into the drawstring formed by blue ribbons. Push the pin through the channel, thereby pushing the elastic to the opposite edge of the workpiece. Sew together both edges of the elastic, as well as the edges of the lace and ribbons with a machine seam. Spread the elastic evenly over the drawstring of the garter.
- From a white and blue ribbon, tie them into 5 bows, the edges of which can be cut off in the form of a check mark.
- Sew the bows onto the blue ribbon by hand. Your garter is ready!
Now you know how to make a bridal garter, and making this attribute will not be a problem for you.