The wedding cake
The culmination of every wedding celebration is the cutting of the cake, which is why the design of a sweet dessert should be given special attention. The cake can be baked in different styles, but works of confectionery art with figurines always look relevant and impressive.
Traditionally, they try to turn a wedding cake into a real culinary masterpiece. The main trend of recent years has become multi-tiered treats, the top of which is decorated with figures that personify the newlyweds or symbolize the strength of feelings and mutual love between the newlyweds. Figures are edible and inedible:
- edible ones are made from caramel, mastic, dough, chocolate, marzipan or candy mass;
- inedible ones are most often made of porcelain, plastic, polymer clay or ceramics.
If the newly-made spouses want to keep the memory of the celebration for many years, then it is better to give preference to inedible decorations, but if you are determined to share the most delicious pieces of wedding treats with your guests, then you should choose options for food materials.
The option with figurines depicting the bride and groom is considered a classic. “Young” can hug, hold hands, kiss, drive a wedding car or dance. As a rule, they reflect the lifestyle of the newlyweds and their character.
Most often, young people are depicted in traditional wedding dresses in black and white, but some newlyweds do not look for easy ways and strive to stand out, so their desserts are crowned by a man and a woman in the form of swans, in the costumes of Adam and Eve, small Cupids, or in any alternative options. In second place in popularity are figurines of doves, swans and images of wedding rings with hearts.
Wedding cakes are often decorated with figurines of famous cartoon characters. This option is optimal for those who are fed up with the standard canons of a wedding celebration and for those who want to make their holiday truly fun and provocative. Young people with a good sense of humor will surely appreciate Minions, Prince and Cinderella, Mickey and Minnie Mouse, as well as Shrek with Fiona and Rapunzel with Eugene.
Such figures will not only set the tone for the holiday, but also turn it into a little fairy tale with a happy ending.
The funniest jokes are based on self-irony and self-criticism, so using humorous decor can cheer up not only young people, but all guests. Not necessarily funny figures should have a great resemblance to the young, moreover, they are often made caricatured. For example, brides are very popular. who caught the groom with a bait, or girls who drag a stubborn young man to the registry office.
There are a few more popular ideas for such figures:
- a bride carrying her beloved husband in her arms;
- tipsy spouses;
- the groom who stepped on the long veil of his young wife;
- a man who helps his companion to climb to the topmost tier of the cake.
Of course, if you plan to present such a cake to the newlyweds as a gift, you must be 100% sure that they will not be offended and will not perceive such decor as an insult.
In recent years, jewelry has become quite popular, representing the intertwined names of the newlyweds or their monograms. Thus, the decor emphasizes the uniqueness of the celebration and the targeting of the confectionery masterpiece. Depending on the concept of a sweet dessert, these can be full names, a common surname, capital letters. At the same time, they can be located side by side, intertwined or closed in one ring. Short congratulatory texts and wedding wishes look very impressive.
When decorating a cake in this way, preference should be given to silver, gold and mother-of-pearl shades, and, of course, the font should be well readable.
What are they made of?
Edible figurines for wedding cakes are made using several popular technologies. An excellent decoration can be figurines made of white and dark chocolate, as well as neat decorative elements made of marzipan. A stylish composition can be obtained by mixing cream and sugar, and swans made from meringue are considered the pinnacle of confectionery art.
However, mastic is the most popular for making figurines. It is used not only to create figures, all kinds of inscriptions and cake decorations are also made from it. The material is a homogeneous plastic mass with a viscous texture. You can buy it ready-made, or you can make it yourself. There are several recipes for making mastic.
- Honey - it is created on the basis of liquid honey. A feature of the product is that such a mastic does not crumble and does not crumble.
- Dairy — based on condensed milk.
- Gelatinous — such a product is used to create bulky and complex compositions.
How to do it yourself?
- To prepare figurines for a wedding cake, you first need to build a wire frame. First, the wire is twisted in the shape of a circle, while its diameter will correspond to the diameter of the future bride’s dress. The rest should be bent so that a right angle is formed and one of its ends remains in the center of the circle.
- After that, it is necessary to wrap it with white mastic so that it looks like a young dress.
- One of the wires should be wrapped not along, but across the frame, it will become the basis for the bride’s hands — they are wrapped with beige mastic, which is more like a natural flesh color.
- The head is made separately, also in a beige version, after which it is attached to the shoulders. Do not forget that even a sweet and edible bride should remain a woman — give her forms all the necessary roundness. To do this, roll up two balls, attach them in front, and cover them with a thin white layer on top.
- The bride should definitely make her hair and a weightless veil, to make the latter, roll out the mastic as thin as possible, almost to the cobweb and fix it very carefully on the “young” hairstyle.
- Drawing the bride’s face requires special care — food coloring and a thin brush are used for this.
- When choosing images that will decorate the cake, first of all consider the style of the wedding ceremony. If you are holding events in a touching and romantic way, humorous images will be categorically inappropriate.
- If you prefer sweet figures, then keep in mind that the mastic requires special storage conditions — it is kept in a cool place, always in cling film in a hermetically sealed container. The figurine can be taken out of the refrigerator only a few hours before the holiday, and placed on the cake only before serving.
- It is very important to fix the figurines tightly on the last tier of the cake, otherwise you cannot avoid them falling to the floor and violating the integrity of the entire composition.
The most common idea for decorating a wedding cake is delicate and romantic figurines depicting the bride and groom.
However, the figures can be caricatured, they emphasize the endless sense of humor of the young.
Cartoon characters and animal figurines look spectacular.
An unusual but effective idea is cakes with gingerbread toppers.
And of course, the classics — rings, hearts, swans and a pair of doves.
How to make figurines on a wedding cake with your own hands, see the following video.