A wedding is the most important event in any girl’s life. That is why the pre-wedding period is accompanied by an exciting pre-holiday fuss and the solution of issues significant for the event: the choice of a wedding dress, a suit for the groom, a place of celebration, a photographer, and so on. At an ideal wedding, every detail — from the color scheme of the scenery to what flowers should be in the bride’s bouquet — should be thoroughly thought out. Therefore, you should not rely on the first stall with flowers that came across in front of the Wedding Palace, but it is better to decide on the bride’s flower combination in advance.
Traditional requirements for composition
A wedding dress and a wedding bouquet are two inextricably linked attributes, so when choosing the latter, they usually rely on the color, style and even the material of the dress. Previously, brides adhered to the classic wedding style and got married in a snow-white dress and chose a bouquet to match it. Therefore, a traditional wedding bouquet is a bouquet of white flowers. And the traditional flowers for the bouquet are tea or white roses. Sometimes you can find classic compositions with chrysanthemums and carnations.
The traditional shape of a wedding bouquet is a ball or a hemisphere. Such forms are the most versatile, and also allow you to harmoniously fit one or more types of flowers into the composition and decorate it with decorative elements. As for decoration, a satin ribbon with which a bouquet is tied up can be attributed to the traditional forms of decoration. The shade of the ribbon should be combined with the flowers in the composition, therefore, in a classic bouquet, the ribbon is usually pastel in color.
If your wedding is in the fall, then you can choose seasonal fresh flowers that bloom in September. You will see their names below.
A traditional wedding is full of various kinds of customs and superstitions: meeting with bread and salt, exclamations of “bitter”, fees “for a boy and a girl” and others. Therefore, if a couple decides to observe superstition in everything, then they are faced with choosing a bouquet to find out the meaning of each flower. This will set the right mood for the wedding event.
- Roses are an ancient symbol of love and passion. This is probably why they are the most popular plant used in most bridal bouquets. With roses, the process of “catching” the bride’s bouquet acquires a special meaning: the bride conveys a symbol of love to an unmarried girl, predetermining her meeting or future wedding.
- Orchids are close in meaning to roses. They mean love, wealth and fertility. Orchids are an excellent choice for newlyweds who hope not only for a long and strong relationship, but also for financial stability.
- lilies prophesy a long marriage, and also promise wealth and prosperity to the newlyweds.
- Hydrangeas — mutual understanding and consent, suitable for those who put these qualities at the forefront.
- peonies — Chinese symbol of a happy and strong marriage. Therefore, such a bouquet is good for connoisseurs of oriental culture and wisdom.
- The meaning of tulips changes depending on their color. Purple means loyalty and favor, burgundy means perfect love, and classic white means forgiveness.
- dahlias symbolize eternal relationships and love. And dahlias emphasize the elegance of the bride.
- Lavenderas many might have guessed, it is calmness, purity and devotion, and also a very pleasant aroma.
- Chrysanthemum - a flower of optimism, joy and good mood. For those couples who appreciate a positive attitude and emotions in everything, they want to bring them into the wedding ceremony.
Among the huge number of flowers of various colors, certain combinations have already developed, which are often used in a wedding bouquet.
- Roses. Roses are good because, on the one hand, they can be used in small mono-bouquets, and on the other hand, they are versatile when used with any other flowers. In addition, a mixture of roses of various varieties and shades will be a winning combination, the combination of lush single-headed roses with neat spray roses is especially popular. The most popular varieties of roses for wedding bouquets are David Austin’s peony roses. You can add a mono-bouquet of Austin peony roses with blackberries and rose hips — it will turn out very exclusive. These roses go well with other types of plants: lilies of the valley, eustoma, cotton, violets, gartensia.
- Peonies. Peonies, like roses, can be used as the only flowers in a composition. But one of the most popular options for a wedding is a combination of roses and peonies in pastel colors. Such a bouquet can be refreshed with greenery and wildflowers. The result is a unique and tender composition that embodies love, passion and a strong marriage at the same time. If you want the wedding bouquet to look extravagant, then add poppies, ranunculi or callas to the peonies. If the bride wants to emphasize her tenderness and sophistication, then hibiscus or freesia will be appropriate with peonies. Such bouquets can be on their own stems, tied with a decorative ribbon. And if it is necessary to preserve freshness for a long time, then a bouquet with a porta bouquet is recommended. The most unusual version of a bouquet with peonies is a taped bouquet, where cut petals and buds are fixed on a wire frame.
- Orchids. Orchids are not only incredibly beautiful flowers, but also surprisingly durable — they can stand for another month after the event. Mono-bouquets of orchids are not popular, but these colors will be excellent bouquet neighbors for chrysanthemums, callas, hydrangeas and chamomile. The combination of orchids and roses in one composition enjoys great success. An orchid is a very bold choice for a bridal bouquet, so you should go away from the classic spherical shape with it and try a slight asymmetry of the bouquet, where the flowers in the composition resemble a “hanging waterfall”, and an exquisite floral “explosion” appears in the hands of the bride.
Other options are no less sophisticated.
- Carnations. A bouquet made up only of carnations is not popular among brides. But it will look good in combination with peony roses and lisianthus similar to them. But the best option for a wedding bouquet is adding carnations to a bouquet of chrysanthemums. Such a bouquet does not require additional decoration. You can simply tie it with a satin ribbon.
- Gerberas. These flowers are very much loved by wedding florists. They are picky, bloom until late autumn and do not have thorns. A mono-bouquet of gerberas will make the image of the bride brighter. And if you want to dilute the wedding composition with other flowers, then irises, chrysanthemums and large daisies are perfect for this. Those who like to stand out should also pay attention to the combination of burgundy roses and white gerberas.
- ranunculus or buttercups, as they are called in the CIS countries, resemble large roses and are very popular among wedding florists. In combination with other colors, it is better to use buttercups of bright colors. For example, a combination of white or cream roses and bright orange buttercups, as well as yellow roses and maroon buttercups, will be ideal. This option is ideal for a Europeanized wedding and unpretentious, but stylish wedding dress.
In your choice, do not ignore the recommendations of professionals. Even in salons where flowers and bouquets are sold, real experts can help you with advice.
- As mentioned earlier, the color of the bouquet depends on the color of the wedding dress. But this does not mean at all that the flower arrangement should match the tone of the dress. The ideal wedding bouquet is one or two shades darker than the wedding dress.
- If after the solemn wedding ceremony a long trip around the city is planned, photographing or just circumstances are such that you need to carry the bouquet with you for a long time for a whole day, then using a special capsule or flower porter with floral foam will help keep the freshness of the bouquet.
- In order for flowers to fit perfectly into the wedding ceremony, they must be combined not only with the image of the bride, but also with the groom’s boutonniere. Thanks to such a seemingly trifle, an absolutely complete and amazing image of the newlyweds will be created.
- A petite bride in an A‑line dress should opt for a round bouquet. In this combination, the bride and the bouquet will look very harmonious.
- Slender and tall girls should pay attention to the cascading form of the flower arrangement, in which some of the flowers seem to fall out of the hands of the bride and resemble a waterfall descending from her hands.
- For brides of short stature in a dress with a straight cut, a vertical mono-bouquet, the so-called wand of flowers on long stems, is suitable. This image looks elegant and concise at the same time.
- A frame-shaped bouquet is for those who like to experiment. From the frame, you can make any shape of a bouquet: a butterfly, a heart hat. And attach cut buds and petals to the frame. Ideal for lovers of everything unusual, those who like to surprise others.
- Truly extravagant girls, who can use a bright bouquet with the style of the dress, can complement it with dried fruits, succulents and wild flowers. Clusters of mountain ash, sprigs of berries, cornflowers, bluebells can give a special beauty to the flower arrangement.
- If the bride is afraid of the discomfort that wearing a bouquet can bring her, then you should pay attention to the bouquet-bracelet, which is attached to the arm with special ribbons and does not cause any inconvenience.
- In a delicate bouquet on long stems using greenery and wild flowers, it would be very appropriate to use not a satin ribbon, but a rope tourniquet. Such a bouquet will refresh the image of the bride and create a wonderful atmosphere for others.
No matter what, no matter what they advise, the bride should trust her feelings when choosing a bouquet for the main holiday of her life. To which of them the soul lies, that one must be chosen. This will be fair to yourself first and foremost.
How to collect the perfect bouquet for the bride, see the following video.