A wedding dance
Gypsy dances attract with their incendiary and brilliance. An extravaganza of colorful outfits, spectacular movements of the body and hands, charming smiles will not leave anyone indifferent. Such dances are filled with cheerfulness and expression. Seeing this charming spectacle, one wants to take part in it.
History of appearance
For a long time there was an opinion that the gypsies were from Egypt. However, in the middle of the 19th century, an academician from Germany, August Friedrich Pott, found evidence that India is still their homeland. He managed to find the ancestors of the gypsies, whom we see in the modern world, in the territory of Ancient India.
In those days, a caste called “house” was known. It consisted of musicians and dancers who roamed the north of India. It is worth noting that such castes still exist. Gypsies began to come to other countries in the 5th century and this continued for 1000 years.
They preferred Western countries, sometimes adopting the customs of different peoples. This is how the traditions, language and habits of modern gypsies were formed.
Not surprisingly, the reflection of creative roots can be observed today. Singing and dancing were originally outlets for the representatives of this people, and then began to turn into a profession. It is noteworthy that from a very early age, kids are already trying to drive with their shoulders and sing along.
Gypsies appeared on the territory of Russia in the 18th century, having migrated from Poland. Cheerful caravans that told fortunes, traded horses, sang and danced, attracted from all over the country. Quite often, the peasants even let them into their huts for the winter to make it more fun. In the 19th century, the formation of famous gypsy choirs began, which both Pushkin and Tolstoy liked. Gradually, the art of the bright nation began to gain popularity among the nobles and merchants.
Gypsies from camps and cities constantly kept in touch with each other, which gave development and preserved the originality of their work. The best numbers began to go to the people, and the movements of camp beauties began to appear on the stages. In addition, gypsy singers and dancers began to adopt what they saw from others.
For example, the beginning of the 20th century brought step, flamenco movements, as well as the best from Moldovan and Hungarian performers to their dances. Thus, the modern gypsy dance was formed.
It should be recalled that the “gypsy girl” dance became famous thanks to Alexander Sergeevich Pushkin, who was interested in this people. Gradually, the gypsies began to work not only on the streets, but also in restaurants, as well as at various major holidays. Each event with their participation was filled with enthusiasm and carelessness. Over time, in Russia, a wide festivity began to be symbolized with noisy and cheerful gypsy performances.
The dance performed by bright gypsies looks especially charming. It combines unusual plasticity of hands and complex fractional percussion. At the same time, women also have time to work with a tambourine, a skirt and even a shawl. The dancers move their arms in a very sensual and varied way. At times it seems that they are hugging someone, and then, like a blade, cut through the space around them. It is thanks to this that the performers convey all the colorfulness of emotions.
The girl’s skirt is held in one or two hands at once, making sweeping movements. Looking at this, thoughts about waves involuntarily come. A special sequence allows you to lift the skirt due to the cascade of frills. Another feature of the dance is fractions, which can be performed by both women and men. To understand the depth and beauty of the gypsy dance, you need to get to know it better.
There were always a lot of gypsy dance groups, there was always a lot of competition between them. However, it had a positive effect on the professionalism of the artists. In addition to traditional elements, performers began to introduce their own, author’s, based on a specific occasion or situation. Of course, in general, the motives and manners of performance remained characteristic of the gypsies.
Currently, there are several types of gypsy dances.
- The stage is a whole show. It is characterized by good choreography, straight posture and placed hands. The dancers, as a rule, wear wide skirts, which are called “two suns”, and the dancers wear shoes with special step heels. During the dance there may be theatricalization.
- The tabor version is performed in a free manner, which is also called folk. In this form, there are also expressive movements of the skirt. The performance is exclusively solo. It turns out that the dancers replace each other in a certain sequence.
- Gypsy street dance is based on group improvisation. It is very important for him to be in constant interaction with the audience.
Master class for beginners
Only a professional can give real gypsy dance lessons. At home, learning the original performance will not be easy. But there are certain techniques in which everything is shown step by step and quite clearly. Before jumping directly into the study of incendiary rampage, there are a few important rules to learn.
- Good posture should be maintained at all times. Only thanks to a flat back will it be possible to effectively perform all movements.
- You need to work with your feet like a ballerinato get correct and elegant movements. Here the basic classical principle in the form of eversion comes in handy. The foot is placed on the floor so that the toe is on the outside, not inside. However, do not be zealous: it is enough if the socks are only slightly directed to the sides.
- It is important to combine smooth hand movements with fractional percussion. This can only be learned after many hours of practice. And they usually start with basic movements for the legs and arms. Only after they are well worked out, do they move on to various variations.
In gypsy dance, hand movements are an obligatory component.. They are the ones that amaze and draw attention to themselves. It seems that they do not stop at all, all the while twisting like snakes and recreating wonderful patterns. Sometimes it even seems that the dancers have no bones, because their hand movements are filled with unprecedented flexibility and plasticity. In each stroke, the joint participation of the shoulder joint, hand and all fingers is visible.
To many this seems almost impossible. However, in fact, such complex movements consist of fairly simple elements. To master the gypsy witchcraft of the hands, you first need to learn them separately, and then put them all together.
The following basic positions for hands are distinguished.
- Rotations in a circle are performed by spreading the arms to the sides and making flips with the brushes. In this case, the right hand will be on top, and the left hand is somewhat brought forward. Coups are made first with the left, and then with the right, and then they change. There are also many other variations of this position.
- Smooth movements of the brushes first down, and then wave them up. Starting position — arms spread apart.
- The image of the eight in front of you with the help of brushes. In this case, one hand should reach up, and the second elegantly draws a figure eight. The movements are repeated after changing hands.
- Hands should be in front of the chest with the palms facing up.. Alternately, starting with the little finger, it is necessary to bend one finger at a time so that they approach the wrist. This movement is performed with a gradual increase in tempo to create a fan effect. After that, the hands should be spread apart, raised up and turned over with the brushes, opening the fan.
In addition to these, there are still a large number of options for how you can move your arms. However, when performing them, it is important to observe the following rules.
- The head should also react to the movements of the hands.. The hand that works, as well as the chin, should be connected with an invisible thread. For example, if the hands fly up, then the chin should also rise. With the hand going to the side, the dancer’s gaze should follow it.
- Brushes and fingers are moved with a certain amplitude and expressively. The movements should not feel like they are mechanical. In this case, the fingers must be held so that air flow is felt between them.
A temperamental dance cannot do without a fraction, which gradually also accelerates. The gypsies surrender to this extraordinary rhythm, which is able to put the audience into a real trance. At its core, the fraction is some kind of trick designed to attract attention and show the skill of the performers. The combination of this type of movements with the simultaneous weaving of patterns with hands is especially difficult.
To learn how to make a fraction, you need to have a sense of rhythm.
The fraction begins with the fact that the right leg rises and hits the floor with it. After that, you need to take your leg back. Next, you should raise your left leg, make it the same blow forward, and then remove it. For a knock, alternate kicks are made. In this case, they start with the left, and then add the right, and so on.
Gypsy dance ornaments are beautiful turns. At the same time, they can be seen in any choreographic performance. You can also catch a variety of rotations, slow or rapid movements. Moreover, they are performed both standing still and moving around the stage. To fill the dance with expression, when turning, they additionally move skirts or arms. When circling, you should not wander with your eyes around the audience, but fix your head at one point as long as possible. Turns for beginners are best done in one direction: left or right.
To turn in one place, it is necessary to transfer all the weight to the left leg, while the hands are removed from the hips. After that, the right leg opens slightly and is placed behind the supporting leg. To make the turn smooth, it must be done while standing on two legs. At the same time, the hands are located as follows: the right one is in front of the chest, and the left one is at the top. When the twisting to the starting position has been completed, you should close your hands on your hips.
Gypsy dances are quite complex in technique and require good preparation. Inspiration and acting are also of great importance. Gypsy performance is a whole art that will take quite a long time to learn.
Clothes and accessories
The colorful dance costumes of the gypsies are also part of the unique show. The most popular accessories are a tambourine and a shawl. For dancers, an important element of the image is a large width skirt. Moreover, it is important that it has a lot of frills, ruffles and other lush decorative elements.
It is also necessary to have a petticoat so that bare legs do not open during dance movements.
The length of the skirt should be ankle-length or slightly higher so that movements are clearly visible. The traditional performance of the dance assumes that the girl will be barefoot, but on stage the option is chosen in shoes.
It is important that the stage costume includes gold jewelry. So the woman looks luxurious. However, along with this, the cuts on the shoulders and sleeves of the jacket symbolize poverty. A characteristic feature of the clothes were also bright colors, including red, green, blue and yellow shades. Often there is also black, especially in men’s suits.
Polka dots and flowers will be popular prints, and recently even dragons and snakes have appeared. At the same time, it is important for dancers that when using the pattern, the contrast between the shirt and trousers is visible. This rule is typical for women’s suits.
It is important that the clothes are not only colorful, but also comfortable. It should not be excessively close to the body, but it is not good when it weighs in a bag. For example, a skirt should be chosen so that it can make a variety of tilts or swings.
Shoes should be with a medium heel and well fixed in the area of the toe and heel. At the same time, its weight should be such that the legs are not strongly drawn to the floor.
Often, girls complement their image with a bright hair clip, and men with a hat or cap. The stage costume must be in perfect condition. All clothes must be ironed, and shoes must be polished. Only in this way the dance will be unforgettable.
The following video shows a variant of the gypsy dance.