The wedding cake
At the wedding celebration, a special place is given to the cake. Usually it is large, decorated with figurines of the bride and groom, a pair of doves or swans. But fashion is changing, today many newlyweds refuse the usual cake. Original and spectacular cupcake compositions allow you to diversify the situation. With their help, you can show your imagination, translate into reality various ideas and unusual ideas. It is worth considering in more detail the pros and cons of such compositions, options for presentation and design, as well as vivid examples.
Advantages and disadvantages
The word “cupcakes” came to us from the English language. For us, the more familiar name is cakes. These names are practically interchangeable. In other words, a cupcake is a miniature cake designed for one person. Today it is quite fashionable to use them at a wedding celebration. They can be presented as a separate dish, or served in tandem with a cake. It is enough to use a multi-tiered stand to make the design of cupcakes at the wedding look spectacular and unforgettable.
If you believe the story about the appearance of this cake, then three centuries ago one of the confectioners baked a small dessert in an aluminum bowl, hence its unusual name came from — “cake in a cup”. This dessert should not be considered as a small cupcake with cream, on the contrary, it can be safely called a cake, as modern chefs create real works of art, experimenting with filling, dough and decor.
Today, the popularity of this dessert is quite large, it is used not only at weddings, but also at birthdays, various anniversaries, romantic dates, and so on.
Cupcakes have many benefits.
- No matter how beautiful the cake looks, every wedding guest will have only a small piece that does not look so attractive. A miniature cake is part of a beautiful composition, and also looks beautiful separately on a plate.
- The cupcake is portioned, so it does not need to be divided. When cutting a cake at a wedding, you should take into account the approximate number of guests, so that as a result everyone gets at least a small piece. With cupcakes, everything is much simpler, you should order the same amount of dessert as there will be guests.
- The most spectacular are the compositions that are presented on several tiers. So, for a wedding of 60 people, you can make a great version of four tiers. If we consider the cake, then only a three-tiered dessert is suitable for 150 people, but at the same time it will weigh about 15 kilograms.
- Small cakes are quite easy to transport, they can be easily delivered to any celebration. To bring a big cake, you will need special skill: you need to avoid sharp turns and sudden braking on the road, otherwise you can damage such a dessert. Each cupcake can be easily packed in a separate box, so even if several of them are damaged during transportation, they can simply be removed from the overall composition. For this reason, it is advisable to always order a little more copies than invited guests — then everyone will definitely get a delicious dessert.
- You can use different types of cupcakes at the same time. This allows each guest to choose the version of the dessert that he likes best. For example, children can be pleased with fruit delicacies, and for girls, low-calorie desserts will be an ideal solution.
- Even when replacing the cake with cupcakes, you can keep the tradition of cutting the wedding cake, because on the very top tier you can place a cake with figures of swans or doves, it is the newlyweds who will cut it, and all other tiers will be filled with small cakes.
- Usually sweets are served at the end of the wedding, when all the guests have already eaten their fill. Quite often, they simply cannot taste the delicious treat. Cupcakes are easy to take home with you. Usually, a paper bag is placed next to each plate; the guest has the right to pack a cake with him.
But, like any dessert, a cupcake has some drawbacks, especially when compared with a traditional cake.
- It is customary to serve small cakes at buffet tables, but adherents of the classics do not understand how to put a small cupcake instead of a chic cake. The absence of a large cake can upset some guests.
- Since the wedding cake is large, this dessert will be the decoration of wedding photos. Miniature cakes do not look so impressive in photographs.
Usually the cake is topped with a cap made of cream, although both icing and mastic are often used. In principle, such a top may be enough, but many chefs use additional decors so that their desserts can be called real works of art. Butter cream and biscuit go great with various berries. Often cupcakes are complemented with raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blackcurrants or blueberries. This option is in great demand in the summer.
Small pieces of fruit on top of cupcakes look no less impressive. The cakes themselves are made in milky white colors, and bright fruits give them color. Many people choose pineapples and peaches as decorations. It is worth noting that apples and bananas are categorically not suitable for these purposes, because they cannot maintain an attractive appearance for a long time. Toppers will be an ideal addition, which are presented in the form of small inscriptions on paper, located on a thin stick. They are inserted into cakes, thereby making them special and original.
The dessert looks great, complemented by icing — a sugar-protein mass that is very sweet. It allows cooks to feel like real artists. Delicacies decorated with flowers look very beautiful, while you can pick up the same flower that is presented in the bride’s bouquet. To create a flower, the confectioner uses cream, mastic or sugar icing. But, of course, nothing can compare with real flowers. They can be used to decorate the stand on which the cupcakes will be placed.
But inscriptions or figures are rare when decorating cakes. Although you can use the initials of the young or figurines of the bride and groom. Two wedding rings look beautiful. In general, you can use a variety of paired jewelry. But most importantly, cupcakes should harmoniously fit into the overall style of the wedding celebration.
Today, a variety of recipes for preparing these amazing delicacies is presented, so even a novice culinary specialist will be able to choose the best option by inventing his own unusual design.
How to apply?
According to the wedding tradition, desserts are always passed at the end of the festive identity. Many guests even refuse it, because before that they have already tasted a lot of high-calorie and satisfying dishes. But small desserts that can be easily packed, of course, will be a great way out of this situation. Although this is just one of the practical ways to serve dessert.
Important! You need to know the exact number of guests in order to order the right amount of cupcakes, but you should always take a margin. And the method of filing can be any, it all depends on the imagination of the master and customers.
It is worth considering the following original and unusual options for serving this amazing delicacy.
- You can place a cake at the top, and cakes on the lower tiers. This solution looks like a pyramid.
- If the number of cupcakes is limited, then you can arrange them on several trays. In such cases, cake is usually also present as the main sweet treat.
- A mini-cake can be put on a plate for each guest, but this option does not look elegant.
Sometimes at the wedding there is a buffet table where you can find cupcakes. In this case, each guest can enjoy dessert at any time. If the sweet is served at the end of the celebration, then this moment can be decorated with fireworks or candles.
How to decorate with your own hands?
To beautifully decorate cupcakes, you should completely rely on your taste and preferences, because decors can be varied. But the main thing to remember is that small cakes should not be overloaded, an excess of elements will look ridiculous and tasteless. Using fondant, sprinkles, and a few tricks, you can create amazing DIY treats. You should combine simple elements, then together they will look elegant and neat.
Icing is quite popular when decorating cupcakes. To decorate a large number of cakes, nozzles and a pastry bag are faithful companions. To create amazing designs, it is enough to stock up on just a nozzle in the form of an asterisk and a round shape. Using a round nozzle, you can make a simple curl, beautiful petals, a ball of butter. The star-shaped nozzle is suitable for creating a regular curl, rosette or hydrangea.
To add color to desserts, you should pay attention to fairly simple decorations. Sprinkling makes it quick and easy to decorate cupcakes. It is enough to supplement the delicacy with one flower and confectionery sprinkling — and the delicious dessert is ready!
Fondant is often used for decoration, because it can be used to make individual elements that can even be stored for a long time, of course, if they are in a hermetically sealed container at room temperature. It is worth considering several options for creating “tasty” decors.
- To create ordinary flowers, you need to roll out the fondant, while its layer should be approximately 3 mm. Using cuttings, you need to make blanks for flowers, dry them and make your favorite flowers.
- Leaves will be an exquisite addition to flowers. You need to take a green fondant, make a ball out of it, no larger than a pea. Make a drop out of it, while being as flat as possible. After giving the desired shape, you should make veins on the “leaves” with a knife.
Cupcakes in milky white colors are perfect for a wedding. Snow-white bows, pink flowers are very refined and elegant decorations. Such a delicacy can be used to celebrate a linen wedding.
Cakes can be picked up for any wedding anniversary. For example, in the third year of marriage, you can use several decors. Of course, the option with the number 3, a treat with the names of the husband and wife, as well as cakes with hearts and flowers. Red color gives desserts brightness and unusualness.
A composition in the form of a pyramid will become a luxurious decoration of the holiday. Chocolate sponge cake decorated with pink or white cream looks amazing. The alternation of tiers is the highlight of the dessert. And the indisputable decoration of the whole composition is the top cake, decorated with pink mastic and complemented by small flowers, which are also made of mastic.
See the video below for how to make cupcakes.