The bride’s bouquet, perhaps, delights those present at the wedding no less than the wedding dress. Few people know, but many years ago the wedding bouquet was completely different from the modern version. Flowers were not used at all, the bride walked to the altar with three ears of wheat. The bouquet served as a talisman. It served as a kind of protection for the bride from negative energy, and it was by no means allowed to pass it on to anyone. The tradition of throwing the bride’s bouquet to her unmarried girlfriends appeared relatively recently.
No one knows how the tradition of throwing a wedding bouquet to unmarried women appeared, but a lot of assumptions have accumulated. According to one of them, in many countries the wedding bouquet was a symbol of a happy life and success. Naturally, everyone present at the celebration sought to receive it. Subsequently, it acquired a completely different meaning, which is familiar to all of us: the definition of a future bride.
Today, the tradition of throwing a bouquet is used as an innocent entertainment. There are no specific rules, and this can be done at any time convenient for the bride and groom. For example, after leaving the registry office, during a photo session or a walk, at the beginning of a banquet, or when the celebration comes to an end.
As a rule, most invited hosts try to schedule the tradition before the end of the banquet in order to avoid possible embarrassment with already drunk guests. In addition, this moment is a kind of culmination of the whole evening, and therefore should be well organized.
The facilitator must make sure that all the participants are in place by catching the bouquet. Therefore, it is advisable to announce the upcoming competition a couple of minutes before it starts and explain the rules in detail to others. First of all, the bride is invited, who must show all the guests her beautiful bouquet and answer the tricky question about who will catch the bouquet that evening. Then all female representatives who have not yet married are invited.
Some brides prefer to give all the participants small symbolic gifts before throwing the bouquet and express a warm parting word.
For unmarried friends of the groom, there is a similar entertainment with throwing a garter, which is previously removed from the bride’s graceful legs. The man who caught the garter, according to tradition, will soon meet his soul mate and marry her.
If there are no unmarried ladies at the celebration, then the bride should give a bouquet to the first unmarried girl she meets on the way to the banquet. Or you can do it more romantically and let the wedding bouquet down the river. If one unmarried girl is present at the celebration, then the bride should simply give her a wedding bouquet, saying a few kind words.
The tradition of throwing the wedding bouquet came to us from the West, and appeared in America. In France, for example, the bride, after her marriage has been registered, goes to the temple with the groom and gives flowers to one of the saints. This is done as a token of gratitude for the fact that heavenly angels allowed two earthly lovers to meet and unite in a lasting union. In the UK, there is another tradition, according to which the wedding bouquet should be placed at one of the monuments.
When planning a wedding celebration, newlyweds are increasingly moving away from this tradition, making a choice in favor of more original solutions. In this regard, many variations have appeared over the past few years. Among them there are successful ones, and they are widely used.
- The first alternative tradition is the use of ribbons. The wedding bouquet is still involved in this action. Beautiful satin ribbons, which were chosen in the same color scheme as the wedding decorations, are tied to the bouquet. The highlight of this method is that only one ribbon is tied, the bride holds the rest with her hand. She and all the unmarried ladies stand in a circle. Stretching out her hand with a bouquet, the bride gives the participants the opportunity to choose a ribbon for themselves. At the signal of the presenter, all participants pull the ribbon, and the one whose ribbon remains in the bride’s hand becomes the winner of this competition. It is she who, according to tradition, will be the next to marry.
- An interesting and rather original alternative to the traditional throwing of the bride’s wedding bouquet is method using a chest. A wedding bouquet is placed in it and locked with a key. Then the key is placed in a satin bag or some beautiful container and mixed with keys that do not fit the lock. Each of the unmarried girls takes one and tries to get a wedding bouquet. The one who succeeds wins the competition.
- In modern wedding celebrations, there was a place for ancient Russian traditions, namely: round dance transfer of the bride’s bouquet. All unmarried people present at the feast form a circle in which the bride stands in the middle. Then rhythmic music is turned on, and the participants begin to lead a round dance. Meanwhile, the bride is spinning in the opposite direction. This method is one of the most competitive, because, anticipating the transfer of the bouquet, some bridesmaids begin to move faster or slower, thereby creating a cheerful and joyful atmosphere. Turning off the music will be a signal that all participants in the process need to stop. The girl, in front of whom the bride’s outstretched hand with a bouquet will be, wins the competition.
- The next way is extremely touching, he will show the warm attitude of the bride to all the ladies present at the celebration. However, it is necessary to know the exact number of participants in advance. The essence of this method is to create several identical flower arrangements and combine them into one so that it looks like a whole bouquet. When the bride throws the wedding bouquet, it will be divided into several parts, and each of the participants will be the winner.
- According to the following method, all responsibility passes to luck or chance. Each unmarried girl is given the opportunity to write her name on paper. After that, the pieces of paper are mixed in a glass jar. The task of the bride is only to pull out a piece of paper and give a bouquet to the one whose name is indicated on it.
- An extremely original way of presenting a flower arrangement into the hands of a bridesmaid is using a large slingshot. Despite the apparent danger of the process, everything is pretty harmless. Two of the men invited to the wedding hold a pre-made large slingshot while the bride pulls on a rubber band and throws flowers. This moment will definitely become a bright and memorable event that guests will remember for a very long time. Don’t forget to take some colorful photos.
- An interesting alternative is creating a smart job. Each girl will be asked to answer a few playful questions about family life. The active girl herself is given a bouquet with warm parting words.
- The following method has not yet gained wide popularity, but you can surprise those present with an original approach. On the soles of the bride’s shoes, the names of all the girls participating in the competition are written with a felt-tip pen. During the entire celebration, all guests and the bride herself are forbidden to look at the back of the shoes. At the end of the celebration, the host and the bride decide which name will be chosen: the one that has been erased the most or the least. The bride gives flowers to the winner.
Speaking about alternative methods of transferring a flower arrangement from a bride to an unmarried girl, it is worth mentioning the original types of wedding bouquets. For example, few people know, but a double bouquet is often used for the competition, designed to replace the original. It is completely identical to what the bride holds during the entire wedding ceremony.
As a rule, such a bouquet weighs much lighter than the original. This is due to the fact that the duplicate bouquet, although it looks the same as the original one, is much smaller in size. Florists try to lighten it as much as possible, so that it would be easier for the bride to throw it up.
According to another tradition, the bride, in order to remain happy in marriage, should not part with the flowers that were with her during the wedding ceremony throughout the entire celebration. There is a belief that flowers absorb the positive energy coming from two hearts in love and should not be passed on to anyone.
A double wedding bouquet will save a superstitious bride from unnecessary worries. There are no traditions indicating that the bride must necessarily hand over the original to an unmarried lady.
The design of the bouquet is limited only by the imagination of the bride. But traditionally it is customary to tie a small bag to the flowers, into which coffee beans, tea or the bride’s favorite sweets will be poured. This is a kind of hint that the future bride will invite her friend to visit. However, this tradition is completely optional and is only a whim of the bride herself. And you can also add a flower arrangement with any decorative ornaments.
On the version of the origin of the wedding bouquet, see below.