We like that, following the European countries, the fashion for beautiful, stylistic weddings has come to Ukraine. Draw inspiration from our articles, choose a style close to you in spirit and turn your holiday into a bright film! Today we will talk about the wedding trend that is quite popular among newlyweds — Retro. If you are inspired by the drive, romance and sophistication of the last century, the option of holding a wedding in Retro style is definitely worth your attention!
A little about style
Retro style in the wedding industry appeared not so long ago, but already many newlyweds are happy to turn to it. The time frame of this style is 20–70 years of the 20th century. Retro is characterized by various details in the interior, clothes, music, cars.
Retro style fashion trends:
- 20–30s of the 20th century, America, Chicago and comics
- 40s of the 20th century, the film “The Great Gatsby”
- 50s of the 20th century, rock and roll and Elvis Presley
- 60–70s of the 20th century, dudes and disco
To choose a certain direction of retro style, you should watch feature films and documentaries about this time period: this will help you “get used” to the era.
Everything will depend on the time in which you want to hold your wedding.
The beginning of the century is the time of black-and-white silent films and comics. Accordingly, the color scheme should be in such colors: white, warm shades of Ivory, small elements of black. For a Chicago-style wedding, it would be appropriate to use a combination of white, black and red.
The middle of the century is a bright, colorful, saturated time of dudes and disco. This is a special stage in the life of our society — a period of rebels who rejected clichés and standards.
Dotted fabrics were very popular in the 50s.
Image of the Bride
For a wedding in the 20s and 30s
Dresses are characteristic just below the knee, with an open back, with a fringe. Any classic outfits are also suitable, with a low waist, a long train, complemented by all sorts of details (drapery, trim). Expensive, thin, “flowing” fabrics are suitable: chiffon, silk, matte or shiny satin.
Finishing plays a very important role: embroidery with beads, stones, pearls to match the dress.
As an accessory, you can use a feather boa or a fur boa.
Long strands of pearl beads wrapped around the neck and hanging down to the waist will be a great accessory.
The most ideal dress style is the hourglass.
Shoes — ideally, shoes with a rounded toe and a low, medium-thick heel. Can be decorated with ribbon ruffles, bows, beads and pebbles.
For a wedding in the 40s
Dresses of this era are characterized by closed, wide shoulders, V‑neckline, wide, puffy sleeves with high cuffs.
The decor and decoration of dresses is minimal, delicate, unobtrusive.
Instead of a traditional veil, you can wear a miniature veil. From accessories it is better to give preference to classic jewelry. The heel of the shoes is preferably high. You can wear wedge shoes (by the way, the wedge heel first appeared in the 40s of the 20th century).
For a dress, the “year” style is more suitable.
For a 50s wedding
The unusual simplicity of the image, turning into childish naivety, is a characteristic feature of this time. During this period, Christian Dior, the creator of the new look style, became the king of fashion.
Fully covered shoulders, boat neckline, narrow waist, fluffy skirt just below the knees or ankle length — this should be the dress of this period.
The puffy skirt “bell” gives the dress an extraordinary elegance and lightness.
This is the period when pumps came into fashion, so it is simply necessary to reflect such an accessory in the image of the bride.
For a wedding in the 60s
You can use a dress with a wide belt and a fluffy, multi-layered skirt. The petticoat can be colored, bright orange, purple or green, for example. Length — knee-length or slightly higher. Empire is considered the best style, and guipure is the ideal material..
All accessories Clip-on earrings, hairband and glasses should match the color of the petticoat. By the way, this color can be beaten in the groom’s shirt, and in shoes, tie and suspenders.
For a 70s wedding
This is the time when traditional classics are back in fashion: open shoulders, a flowing silhouette, a combination of matte, shiny and transparent textures, an elongated train.
Very rich, chic trim with lace, beads, pearls, stones, rhinestones.
The image of the bride of the 70s — she is a sophisticated, sexy lady.
What to pay attention to?
The hairstyle of the bride plays a very important role in conveying the spirit of the time:
- The “cold wave” was characteristic of the 20–40s
- “Babetta” — a popular hairstyle of the 60s. By the way, thanks to the famous actress Bridget Bordeaux.
Don’t forget about makeup too. A minimum of makeup (only expressive, “deep” eyes) — in the image of the beginning of the century, and a bright, rich make-up for the era of the 50–60s.
Image of the groom
For the era of the 20–30s, two options are possible:
- Classical: tuxedo or tailcoat and elegant top hat
gangster: a plain or white vertical striped black suit, a bow tie or tight tie and a stylish hat.
Accessories: Hawaiian cigar, cufflinks and pocket watch chain.
The era of the 50s suggests:
- Suit with tight pants
- Waistcoat with suspenders and “stylish” cap
Shoes for the groom in retro style — patent leather shoes with a narrow toe or stylish loafers.
A very important role is played by the hairstyle — “kok” — the hair is combed back, raised high and fixed with varnish.
Banquet room decor
Of course, the most ideal option would be to find a cafe or restaurant stylized for this era. If this is not possible, then you need to use accessories and entourage that can convey the spirit of the times.
It can be:
- Matching furniture (sofas, chairs, cabinets, bookcases, coffee tables)
- Photos of Hollywood or Soviet cinema artists
- Gramophones, gramophones, reel-to-reel tape recorders, radio tape recorders
- Antique clocks, mirrors, lampshades, suitcases, candlesticks
- Porcelain dishes and all kinds of figurines
- Posters in the style of bygone eras
- Colorful labels of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks
- Typewriters, old telephones, an inkwell with a fountain pen, with which you can leave your congratulations in the Wish Book.
Just do not overdo it: everything should be harmonious, not intrusive, not overloaded.
Of course, it should be an old vehicle, the so-called “retro-auto”. You can find such a car in special salons or from private collectors, in almost all major cities of Ukraine. Use our Catalog to find a car that suits your wedding format!
- One of the first cars — Benz Velo, cool convertible car — BMW 315, car Wikov 40 — choose if the wedding is in the traditions of the beginning of the century.
- Auto-symbol Cadillac 1959, Lamborghini 350 GTV, 1963, ZIM GAZ 12 — if you are planning a wedding style of the 50s-70s.
The cost of renting a vintage car varies from 150 to 950 UAH per hour. It all depends on the brand of car, its technical condition and the uniqueness of the instance.
In the Soviet Union, bouquets began to appear only in the 60s. Basically, these were such flowers: mimosa, tulips, gladioli and, of course, irreplaceable carnation. This situation was associated with a permanent deficit.
Today, if you are planning a retro wedding in the style of the 50s-70s, you can use the traditions of our mothers and grandmothers by making a bouquet of a triangular or pyramidal shape, but using a variety of colors, bright and saturated shades.
A trendy version of a retro bouquet is a bouquet made entirely of fabric. It is he who will help create the appropriate spirit of the times.
Of course, and your first dance simply must be in the style of the era you have chosen. As in general, and all the music that will sound at your wedding party. Of course, only “live” music, you should not invite a DJ. Chanfashion gathered musicians for every taste — choose in our Catalog and participate in the Prize Draw!
The following dance styles can convey the spirit of the times:
- Foxtrot, rumba, charleston or tango - if you are passionate about the eraand 20–40s.
- Rock and roll, cha-cha-cha, twist, boogie-woogie or disco — if you are staying at a 50s-70s wedding.
This dance should ONLY be choreographed by a professional choreographer.
Even the main entourage of the wedding celebration — the cake — should reflect the era and create the appropriate mood.
- Cake of the era of the 20–40s: delicate, pastel (white, beige, Ivory, light gilding) tones, lace decoration, decoration with flowers, birds. Cupcakes should also match the cake.
- In the 50s and 60s, it was very fashionable in the West to make three or more tiered cakes. For example, at the wedding of Prince Rainier in 1954 there was an openwork, six-tiered “giant”. Almost the same was the cake at Elvis Presley’s wedding. So to reflect this era, the cake should be tiered, with lots of flowers like roses and orange blossoms, and lace. And most importantly — fruit and berry taste!
- For 20–40s - stylish minimalism, not catchy shades of colors, mostly white and black colors. The time of the beginning of the century — the appearance of cinema, cars, airplanes, the birth of Hollywood — all this can be stylistically reflected in your invitations.
- For 50–70s - bright, catchy independence and emancipation: brilliance, chic, saturation of colors in clothes, new trends in music, the appearance of vinyl records. So can your wedding invitations.
For invitations, it is better to use artificially aged sheets, wax seals or newsprint.
Ideas for a photo shoot
The most popular today among modern newlyweds are the images of “Chicago Gangsters” and “Moscow dudes”. For a photo session, you can use the plots of the most popular films “Only Girls in Jazz” and “Hipsters”.
There are many similarities between retro and vintage weddings. We recommend that you read our article Wedding in vintage style.
Retro style is a special holiday format. For us, the last century is full of mysteries and romance, this is the time of bright and great personalities, extraordinary music and constant technical progress. If films with Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn make you sigh dreamily, a retro wedding will be your perfect opportunity to travel back in time!