Peplum is a wide frill that is located on the line of the belt of a dress, blouse or jacket. Basque appeared at the beginning of the 18th century. It was used as a dress decoration for rich and noble women. Such a seemingly insignificant detail could make the silhouette of a woman incredibly feminine and clear. Therefore, women were ready to pay a lot of money for peplum outfits.
In the first half of the 20th century, such talented designers as Christian Dior, Thierry Mugler and Yves Saint Laurent adorned their products with peplum. Christian Dior, who was the first to offer a peplum as a decoration, demanded to emphasize everything that is narrow and highlight everything that is magnificent with the help of it.
After such a triumphant return of the Basque, she disappeared from the fashion world for several decades. And only the latest fashion seasons girls and women can enjoy peplum dresses.
Peplum looks great both on evening dresses and on a wedding dress. And today wedding dresses with a peplum are at the peak of popularity.
Models of wedding dresses with peplum
- In 2012, dresses for brides with a voluminous peplum appeared in wedding fashion. She looks great on almost all styles of dresses, so every bride can easily choose the right model for herself. So, on the owners of a slender figure, a long white dress with a peplum and with a narrowed bottom, which must certainly be decorated with a lush peplum, will look great. Graceful, feminine brides should opt for a peplum dress that will resemble a tiered skirt. Curvy brides should opt for models with a high waistline, and the peplum, in turn, should go above or below the hip line, so the silhouette will look more slender.
- Peplum dresses 2013 became lace. This is a truly royal outfit — the peplum makes the silhouette of a woman elegant, and the lace adds luxury, wealth and sophistication along with it.
- Another unusual peplum pattern is the asymmetric peplum. This peplum looks original and stylish. The asymmetrical detail can be in a contrasting color or match the tone of the wedding dress.
First of all, it should be noted that the peplum shortens the legs, therefore, under a wedding dress, as well as under an evening dress with a peplum, it is necessary to wear high heels.
A wedding dress with a peplum is a special outfit, since the peplum itself is already an independent decoration, which is extremely difficult to complement. The best decoration for a beautiful peplum dress is a handbag or a wedding clutch of a simple design, without unnecessary details and pumps. Such accessories and shoes can easily emphasize all the charm and splendor of a peplum dress.Who shouldn’t wear peplum dresses?
- For girls with wide hips, it is better to refuse a peplum dress, as it will add unnecessary volume to the hips.
- Girls of short stature should also not wear this outfit, since in this case the peplum shortens the legs.
- Girls with a small tummy should refrain from wearing a peplum dress at waist level, as it will only emphasize extra centimeters.