Immediately after receiving an invitation to a wedding celebration, the question of a gift arises before the guests. Wedding presents differ from all others in that, on the one hand, they must correspond to the scale of the celebration, and on the other hand, they must carry a special semantic load. In other words, I want gifts to be not only expensive, but also meaningful. In addition, at weddings you can often see comic presents, which, of course, are given in addition to the main ones, but they are sometimes remembered and perceived better than “serious” gifts.
What can you give the newlyweds?
I must say that different countries have developed different traditions regarding congratulations in honor of the wedding day. For example, Americans make lists of things they would like to have. Yes, they are delivered in advance. Sure, it’s practical, but predictable.
In Russia and neighboring countries, people are more sentimental. Here, not only the benefit and value of the donated is important, but also the meaning that the donor has invested. It is better to prefer cheerful and funny congratulations to piercing words that can touch and cause tears. Recently, the most popular gift is envelopes with banknotes, less often — certificates for large purchases and household appliances. This entails a double feeling. On the one hand, it is economically justified. On the other hand, the process of donation itself becomes a mere formality.
In order for the bride and groom to remember the beginning of their family life with joy, an envelope or a gift certificate for the purchase can be supplemented with interesting surprises. They will revive the holiday itself and remain in the memory of the newlyweds forever.
Even the most ordinary household item can be perceived differently if it is accompanied by jokes and good congratulations. This technique is usually used by the older generation — parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents. These gifts can be the most familiar items in everyday life.
- A rolling pin or a frying pan as necessary things in the household and “arguments” during a quarrel.
- Umbrella — for good weather in the house.
- A broom or basin of soap — usually they come with vacuum cleaners or washing machines. They mean that no circumstances, including a power outage, can interfere with maintaining cleanliness in the house.
- A light bulb and washing powder — so that the feelings of the young are bright and clean.
- Vegetables and fruits — usually their names rhyme with good wishes. For example: cabbage — so that your wallet is not empty, garlic — so that your daughter and son are born, carrots — so that mother-in-law and mother-in-law are friends, and the like.
Such items, apparently, do not have to be expensive. Moreover, it will be better if you decorate them and place appropriate inscriptions on them. Several things can be put into an opaque bag at once and taken out in turn, accompanied by sayings and jokes.
In addition to items useful in everyday life, wise parents give things that symbolize family values:
- candles as a symbol of the family hearth;
- paired figurines of doves or swans, meaning love and fidelity;
- images of storks and cabbage are given with a hint of the early appearance of children in the family.
Here, family heirlooms are inherited — blankets, caps, christening shirts for the next generation. Many mothers love to save their baby’s first things — they will come in handy in order to demonstrate to grown-up children how small they were. From the photos of the home archive, you can make a slide show and accompany it with pre-prepared funny comments.
It is no secret that after the creation of a family, many friends, especially single and unmarried, gradually fade into the background. Therefore, a video with congratulations in a poetic or song form can become a particularly touching gift. Here you can show not only a sense of humor, but also creative abilities. Such a video message can become the highlight of the evening if the bride and groom agree to show it to the guests. Such a show must be agreed with the wedding planner and included in the script.
If this wedding was one of the first in a friendly company, it is quite worth expecting gifts from other friends and girlfriends with hints of the end of a “free” life. Warnings about the hardships that await the newlyweds in the family are not excluded. Of course, such words should not be taken seriously. It is important here that the joke does not hurt the feelings of both parties.
And if you give an item of an intimate nature, you should not show it to other guests.
Recently, musical congratulations have been very popular. Friends can organize a flash mob with a selection of popular tunes. To make it look harmonious, it will require several rehearsals. The bride can join the flash mob of girls — then there will be a surprise for the groom and vice versa. At the end, the dance can be made common and invite the rest of the guests.
Just a few simple incendiary movements will make the holiday unforgettable for all its participants. An alternative to reading congratulations can be rap. If you do not have any special talents, you can remake an existing song, giving it a special meaning.
Another interesting idea could be a raffle. Depending on the situation, you can manage on your own, for example, ask friends or hire actors. This may be the already familiar theft of the bride or the unexpectedly arrived “police squad”. Moreover, there are special agencies that will help you realize your plans.
In order for everything to go smoothly, make sure that the prank is not offensive and does not drag on for a long time.
At the very beginning of the family journey, the newly-made husband and wife try to emphasize their new status. To support this feeling, guests can safely choose things designed for two.
- T‑shirts with inscriptions. Instead of funny inscriptions, you can use an image, each of the halves of which is located on one of the T‑shirts. They will look like a single entity only when the newlyweds are standing close or hugging each other. For lovers, cool pairs of bathrobes, slippers, mittens are also suitable.
- Bedding. These include signed separate pillows for each of the spouses or one large blanket, conditionally divided in half, as well as bed linen with the same theme of the drawings.
- Tableware. The most interesting souvenir here will be one plate for two with a different design and paired cups, including those that change their color depending on the temperature of the contents.
- Certificates, diplomas and medals. Great alternative to postcards. You can make them yourself — for this you will need a suitable text, which can be beautifully designed in any available editor, and then laminated. For a medal, you will need a beautiful ribbon or braid, and if there is no time, then you can buy them. Such distinctive signs can be awarded not only to the heroes of the occasion, but also to their parents.
- In addition to the previous point you can distribute comic titles to close relatives of the newlyweds with the presentation of “documents”. After receiving the title of the best mother-in-law, relations between newly acquired relatives will become better.
By the way, so that the memory of the wedding remains not only among the newlyweds, but also among the guests, they can also be presented with comic certificates. For example, the right to visit or drink tea in the house of the young. You will also like the husband’s trip with friends to football at any time.
- Bouquets. Almost every guest goes to a wedding with a bouquet, because it is flowers that are associated primarily with something solemn and festive. In order not to be banal, instead of flowers, a bouquet can be made up of sweets, tea, fruits, vegetables or alcoholic beverages. Such a present will last much longer, besides, it is not only beautiful, but also useful.
And to make the process of unfolding and eating more enjoyable, you can hide notes with funny parting words in the future family life among the contents.
- Portrait or cartoon — this is what will really become an ornament to the family nest. Such a surprise can be ordered in advance, since most artists can paint a portrait from photographs or directly on the wedding day. The services of a caricaturist are not so expensive, and he can portray not only the newlyweds, but also those invited. Already finished works involuntarily cause a smile and cheer up.
All of the above gifts can be given both on the day of the marriage, and on subsequent wedding anniversaries and anniversaries. Such little things will serve as a good reminder of the feelings that a husband and wife have for each other.
How to present a present with humor?
In the process of giving, it is not so important what to give, it is more important how to give it. Even money can be given in an unusual way. There are several ideas for this.
You can make a tree out of banknotes. This can be a design in the form of paper crafts or a real seedling in a pot, to the branches of which banknotes are tied. A living tree can be played as an illustration of a proverb about what a real man should do. In addition to planting a tree, you can give a brick (by the beginning of the construction of the house) and a children’s toy (for the future son).
A cash gift can be issued as a treasure. For this you will need a small pot. Paper banknotes are placed on its bottom, and coins are poured on top to make the pot really heavy. Such a gift will certainly cause surprise and laughter. To make the top layer of coins look especially original, you can specially prepare small coins from other countries. If it is problematic to get such a quantity of small things, they can be replaced with toys, chocolate or other “treasures” in the form of cheap jewelry and rings.
This idea can be used to organize a kind of quest. The newlyweds themselves can search for the treasure hidden in advance. The spirit of competition can be created by dividing the guests into the groom’s team and the bride’s team. To search, you can use maps or hint systems in the form of notes hidden in different places.
Of course, in the end, the treasure will be in the general budget. In addition, such a game should be coordinated with the host and take little time so that the guests do not get bored.
Following modern trends, you can make a mock-up of an ATM. You can simply put banknotes in it so that the newly-made husband and wife get them in difficult times. Or equip it with a simple mechanism with a spring that works in this way: when any plastic card is inserted into one hole, money starts pouring out of the other. Such an unusual way will definitely be remembered. And the ATM itself can be used later as a piggy bank.
The money cake looks very nice. To make it, you need to make two, or better three, layers of cardboard with a height equal to the height of a banknote. The amount that you planned to donate must be exchanged for smaller banknotes. The diameter of each layer will depend on their number.
Each bill must be rolled up with a non-tight tube and wrapped with a transparent stationery rubber band. Then the tubes are installed around each tier and tied with a ribbon so that they do not fall apart. For stability, all three tiers must be connected to each other. To decorate such a cake, you can use bows, fresh or artificial flowers.
If you love to do things with your own hands, you will definitely love the idea of another cake. It will consist of pieces hollow inside — it is inside them that you can put money, as well as nice little notes. The newlyweds will definitely appreciate your efforts and will be happy.
Adults also like colorful balloons, especially if they contain money. Together with banknotes, confetti can be poured into each balloon — then the bursting process will be especially bright.
As you can see, there are really many options for original gifts. Usually invitations arrive long before the scheduled date, so you can carefully consider all the details. Your efforts to please the newlyweds will definitely be noticed.
An example of an original wedding gift, see the following video.