Many are interested in knowing who his ancestors were, what kind of family ties between them were? For this, a genealogical tree is compiled. It is not the only, but a common way to represent a pedigree. You can create it yourself by finding out who your distant relatives were.
What is a family tree?
Blood ties are studied by the science of genealogy. When compiling a family tree, all ancestors are indicated in it, up to the oldest known of them. There are several ways to compose it. The family tree is made up of leaves representing family members and branches representing family ties. In such a scheme, it is clearly visible who belonged to whom from their ancestors.
Why make a family tree?
It’s trendy to do it these days. Compiling a family tree of a family is interesting, knowing one’s roots can contribute to self-knowledge. If it turns out that the ancestors belonged to the nobility, the aristocracy, the intelligentsia, other respected classes, then their descendants are proud of them. Realizing belonging to them, a person feels more confident, his self-esteem increases.
In some families, genealogy is used to strengthen ties, improve relationships, and the tree is compiled jointly. This activity is a common interest that brings people together. The study and compilation of a pedigree helps to establish family traditions, which are one of the foundations for strengthening the cell of society. Involving children in this process helps to discipline them, to instill in them values.
Types of family tree
There are several ways to compose it:
- On the side of the father or mother. Drawing up a family tree according to this scheme consists in entering into it all relatives up to the oldest representatives known to their descendants.
- downward view. The principle of placement of relatives provides for the location of the oldest of the ancestors in the lower part of the family tree — near the roots. The distant great-grandchildren of this representative of the genus will be at the top of the diagram in the form of thin branches or leaves.
- ascending way. The principle of construction is opposite to the principle of composition of the top-down method. Such a scheme of genealogy based on the form of a trunk has a compiler. The bottom two thick branches of the tree are his father and mother, followed by branches representing grandparents. In the form of the thinnest branches and leaves, the oldest known ancestors are indicated.
How to find out the pedigree of a family?
In most cases, this is not easy to do, but there are ways to get the information you need. If you decide to compile a family tree of the family, you can get the necessary information about the ancestors in the following ways:
- Poll relatives. Ask your parents, grandparents, who were the ancestors. Try to find out as much as possible about them, specifying the last name, first name, patronymic, place and date of birth, and if the relative died, then the date of death.
- Contacting the archives. If you are compiling a family tree of a person, you may need additional information about relatives. It can be obtained from the archives. There you can also find confirmation of the data obtained by interviewing relatives. The archive can provide evidence that the applicant has family ties with one or another ancestor.
- Getting help in specialized organizations. There are companies that make up the pedigree. They have the opportunity to receive archival data that is stored at the federal, regional level. It is impossible to obtain such information on your own. They can help in this matter at all stages of compiling a pedigree.
How to make a family tree?
When compiling it, a convenient scheme. How to make a family tree in terms of its design:
- In the form of a wall newspaper placed on the wall in the apartment. For the originality of the design, you can stick a photo of relatives.
- In the form of an ancient scroll. So you can store it at home, at work, take it with you on a trip, and so on.
- A family tree created by children’s hands, the scheme of which is also chosen by the child, can be made as a collage of colored paper, cardboard, fabrics.
- Use of special Internet sites where you can create a family tree. It can be periodically supplemented online when new data is received.
Genealogical tree — program
Popular services are:
- Family Tree Builder. This is a family tree program where you can add names, photos, additional information about relatives.
- Tree of Life. On the service, you can add photos, text, video clips, soundtracks.
- Family Chronicle. Creating photo albums, editing the biographies of relatives, setting up notifications about important events in their lives are the main set of program functions.
- Genopro. A genealogical (pedigree) tree on the service can be compiled indicating their data, important events in their lives. It is possible to print the results.
- Gramps. In the program, you can create tables, graphs, enter data, search for relatives using known parameters.