After the wedding, the wife takes her husband’s surname, as it was done from ancient times, but earlier, changing the surname after marriage did not entail the replacement of so many documents. There is a lot of trouble with this, and if you don’t meet the deadlines, then you can run into penalties.
How to change the surname after marriage in the passport?
- changing a surname upon marriage is optional, a woman can take a double surname or leave her maiden name, but this must be decided before submitting an application to the registry office. Because this information will be reflected in the marriage certificate;
- one month is given to change a passport after marriage, the terms for changing a surname are the same for Russia, Belarus and Ukraine. When using an old passport for more than 1 month after marriage, penalties are imposed on the owner;
- the passport is changed at the passport office, you must have an old passport, an application for a replacement, a receipt for payment of state duty, a marriage certificate and photographs (for residents — 4 pieces, for citizens of Ukraine — 2 pieces);
- after marriage, it will be necessary to change the surname, both in the passport and in other documents. This is a pension insurance certificate, a compulsory medical insurance policy, a foreign passport, a driver’s license, plastic cards, passbooks, if education has not yet been completed, then you will have to change education documents.
Change of surname in the passport after marriage
Many couples want to go on a honeymoon away from their home. How, in this case, to change the surname after marriage, is it possible to change the passport immediately after receiving a marriage certificate, or can you use a document with a maiden name for some time?
The law does not establish deadlines for changing a passport, but in order to avoid misunderstandings, it is better to change it immediately after changing your surname. There is another way — not to change either the internal passport or the foreign one and go on a trip under the old surname. And do the paperwork upon your return. True, in this case, it is necessary to accurately calculate all the deadlines so as not to pay a fine for an overdue document.
How to change the surname in other documents after marriage?
If everything ended with the change of two passports, then women would not have any questions about taking or not taking their husband’s surname. But other documents are also subject to change, since according to your passport you are already a different person.
- After marriage, when changing the surname, the rights to the car are subject to replacement. To exchange them, you will need to contact the central traffic police of the city, having in your hands the old rights, a new passport, a marriage certificate and a receipt for payment of the state duty.
- The change of surname will also be reflected in the work book, but it is not necessary to change it, the employer himself will make the necessary notes. It is also his responsibility to exchange the pension insurance certificate, medical policy and TIN. Non-working ladies will have to take care of changing the last three documents on their own.
- To change the TIN, you need to contact the territorial office of the tax service, not forgetting to take a new passport, an old certificate and an application with you. The medical policy will be changed in the insurance company, and the pension certificate needs to be changed in the territorial office of the Pension Fund.
- Savings books and bank cards must be changed at the bank at the place of issue. You need to take a marriage certificate, passport and application with you.
- If you have not completed your studies yet, then you will need to provide a copy of the marriage certificate and application to the educational institution. On the basis of these documents, the necessary changes will be made to the student card and grade book.
- A personal account for paying utility bills, property rights and an entrepreneur’s certificate will also need to be replaced.