Family traditions are the norms and style of behavior inherent in the family, habits and attitudes, as well as traditions that are inherited. There are also family customs — the established order of behavior in everyday life.
The role of family traditions in raising children
Family and family traditions are the basis of raising children. After all, it is in the family that the child learns the first experience of interacting with people, comprehends the versatility of human relations, develops spiritually, morally, mentally and physically. Each house has its own set of certain rules and habits that are carried out automatically. Family traditions and customs help to interact normally with society, make a close-knit family, strengthen family ties, improve mutual understanding and reduce the number of quarrels. In family circles where traditions of family education exist and are observed, children listen to the opinion of their parents, and parents show attention to the problems of children and help them cope with them.
The main types of family traditions
- Family holidays and traditions dedicated to them. For example, a birthday, which often becomes the first significant event in a child’s life. Gifts, special preparations, festive dishes distinguish such a day from others and allow the birthday man to feel the significance of the event, teaches you to receive guests. This also includes the celebration of national holidays, which unites people in the range of the country, the world.
- General games with children. So parents set an example for the child, introduce them to various activities, teach him various skills.
- The meeting of the whole family. For example, in order to sort things out, outline further plans for a specific period, discuss the budget and expenses of the family. This enables the child to have an idea about family events, to be responsible, to participate in solving family issues.
- Traditions of hospitality, joint dinners of all family members. Hospitality is also considered a national tradition that unites families and strengthens ties with friends.
- Celebration of significant events in the family: anniversaries, successes and achievements of the household.
- Traditions of punishment and encouragement. This encourages the child to control their actions. However, the excessive severity of the rules limit the freedom of the child, overload his psyche. You should not introduce rules that make life difficult.
- Bedtime stories.
- Wishes good night, good morning, kiss goodnight. Such relationships are important even with an adult child. After all, from a lack of care and affection, children grow up insensitive and callous.
- Trips, walks with the whole family, trips to the museum, theater — develop the spiritual feelings of the child.
A family can also adopt many customs from Orthodox family traditions — this is prayer before meals and before going to bed, reading the Bible, attending church, observing fasts, baptizing children, celebrating Orthodox holidays.
Unusual family traditions
- A flag hanging from a window in Denmark signals that someone is celebrating a birthday here.
- An original family tradition exists among one of the Indian peoples: girls get married for three days. After this period, the newly-made husband must leave his wife’s house forever and never meet her again. After that, the girl lives for her own pleasure: she has the right to have as many lovers as she wants and to indulge herself in everything.
- In Korea, to show the owners of the house that the food is delicious and the feast is good, you need to slurp very loudly.
- An interesting family tradition exists in Ireland, where, on New Year’s Eve, the doors of houses are left open and those who wish can enter any door and will be accepted as a native: they will sit at the table and treat them to dinner. The next day is already celebrated with friends and acquaintances.
- The Bahutu tribe forbids sex after marriage. During thenight, the newlyweds go to the husband’s house, where the young wife begins to beat her husband with everything that comes to hand. In the morning the wife goes to her house, in the evening she again goes to beat her husband. She beats him up for a week, after which the desired act of love happens. In this tribe, it is believed that a fight brings the newlyweds together.
Enter your family traditions and customs so that your house has a special unique atmosphere and comfort, so that the house becomes its own fortress for all household members.